Sunday, May 22, 2005

MISCELLANEOUS MEANDERINGS

(Originally run 11/17/03 on the old site)

Don Thompson:

We finally figured it was the 1952 All-State Band pic. Searcy reps are Paula on oboe, Pat Young on bass sax, Tom Killough on clarinet, and Elbert Eubanks on trombone. Anita thinks the string bass player might be Gloria Mason, who lives in Georgia. Anita will pass it by her. Maybe it is a pic from our parallel universe, where Anita made it.

Paula was All State in 51, 52, and 53 on the oboe. Me, I was a bump on a log.

All-State Concert Band Posted by Hello

As a bonus, Don sent along a link to photos of Paula’s 50th Class Reunion, held earlier in 2003.

Just go to http://member.newsguy.com/~donthomp/SHS5350/SHS5350.html

Wallace Evans

I will work on one historical shot of my grandparent’s store that was located on South Spring St. in Searcy during and after World War II. I stacked canned goods and also got a few goodies for my work. Many of their customers were blacks (the store was just north of the current Carmichael Center and the black part of Searcy at that time was across the railroad tracks to the south) that I later became very good friends with some of them as I was growing up in Searcy. Some of those friends still live in Searcy.

Ernest Simpson

This was so great! I loved the pix of Punky and Frank...I don't know if Punky is still living; last I heard years ago he was playing in a club band. Good at it, he was! But I'm like you, I didn't know anyone in the photo.

Help me with this, who were the old lady sisters who ran the Mayfair in the 50's? I can't think of their names. I worked a stint there, waiting tables, if you can believe that! So I do have a couple of stories about that, Mr. Troy Haile's station on the Corner of Race and Main, and the Roseann Motel. Now that was a challenge...more about that later...

Thanks for your understanding about my 'little setback' comment. Yes, I would never be dismissive. It’s just that Bobby Scott was the perfect example of 'great success, in spite of....' and his great success may have come from the facing of this adversity. That's the true measure his character and what he accomplished. Somebody once said, "It's not what you'd do with the million dollars if you had it, it's what you're doing with the dollar and a quarter you've got." Bobby Scott Fuller parlayed his dollar and a quarter into more than a million, yea, more than ten million. Good work, good piece, my friend.

(You know I think the one light whack with the Sam Browne belt did a lot of good for the character of those four boys, it certainly gave them a clear understanding of tough love by Bill Laas.)

Anita Fuller

If you would just like to look at those annuals - not "lift" them: Marvin Lee Sowell, baritone player from your band days, gave his yearbooks to the Searcy Public Library and the last time I saw them they were in the historical room. I enjoyed reading what people wrote him, me included. Naturally, I would have sworn on a stack of Bibles I DID NOT write that, but there it is, in my handwriting.

(Marvin Sowell had a ham radio station: W5WUH, which he’d always identify as “W5WUH, World’s Ugliest Ham.” He still operates it, from Tampa Bay.

(At a dance one night at the old Country Club, he and I dipped deeply into a bottle of Seagram’s Golden Gin that he’d stashed behind my bass drum. Ultimately, I took over the string bass he was playing, and he took over the drums.

(Until that time, I had never played string bass in my life; Marvin, on the other hand, had played drums. It was musically interesting, but not musically acceptable. We thought we were terrific).


I LOVED today's entry. Please tell Ernie, too. I, too, slept in a cold room on a feather bed, early on. We had gas stoves in every room, but didn't light them all. My Dad would come in my bedroom early in the morning and light the stove....so it was warm when I got up! We only lighted the stove in the living room on Sundays. I loved Sundays....and oh yes, we'd spring for lighting the stove when we put up the Christmas tree in the living room. I repeat, I loved today's entry and think it was wonderful for y'all to take in those guys. Wish I'd had the opportunity to do that. But we did, sort of, take in Johnny Argo.....do you remember him?

(Johnny Argo was a floating DJ who worked at KWCB for something a little less than a year, one of the countless numbers of “floaters” who work a place for awhile, then move on to, if not to greener pastures, at least different ones.

(Johnny went from here to Little Rock, then to Hartford, CT, before he went to Kansas City, KS. When he left there, he followed his then-colleague, Morton Downey, Jr. wherever he went. We lost track at that point, but are reliably informed that he is deceased).

I'm so glad you found Frank Thompson, right under your nose so to speak. That sort of reminds me that, several years ago, I ran into D.D. Young at a great cafe in Kensett. When I asked him how long he'd been back in Searcy, his reply was something like "25 years". Now wouldn't you think that during all those years I'd (or we'd - Bob and I ) would have run into him SOMEWHERE? So, even though you and Frank, high school buddies, are currently living in the same town is NO reason you would ever have accidentally bumped into him. Glad I could help. Now who else do you want to find?

(As those of you who’ve looked at some recent photos of old classmates can attest, frequently the problem is that you just don’t recognize them anymore. Some are easy, most are hard. Frequently, the change is so complete that you could walk by someone you used to date and never tell. See the photo of me today as opposed to the yearbook at the link on the left marked “Searcy Memories”).

That was a beautiful tribute to Bob Ernie wrote - and you, too. I will have to AMEN everything he said about Bob Fuller NEVER ever complaining nor felt sorry for himself - the “why me?” syndrome. He has been such an inspiration to so many kids, I really feel those kids in Jonesboro and Oak Park, Ill. would have killed for him, if called upon to do so.

Now he's still active and gardening like fury here in GREERS FERRY - NOT Heber Springs, Tom. (but that's o.k. many people make the same mistake) using a little boy toy called a Gator, made by John Deere. AND he's also the proud owner of a new John Deere riding lawn mower and he's now mowing a yard for the first time since l952. Needless to say I'm almost as thrilled as he is.

And, finally, from Harold Sullivan:

Thanks for the corrections in my writing, I sure need help. However, you missed one, it should have been aisle instead of isle. It is funny how mistakes really stand out after you have sent it to others. Spelling was never my strong suit, but if you want to solve a differential equations or an integral, that I can do.

I do have one disagreement with you. It might be interesting to take a vote of the readers since we all have different memories and each is sure we are correct. Searcy Bank was cattycornered from Federated Store, on the southwest corner of the square. Security Bank was cattycornered from Robinson’s Drug Store on the southeast corner of the square, next to White County Motor Company, the Ford dealer, before it moved out on East Race. On the subject of remembering where things use to be, Dub Cook, Mary Beth’s dad, use to have a grocery store next to Garrison’s Jewelry on the west side of the square.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy it.


You’re right about The Searcy Bank location. But, hey, no editor’s purfeckt – they just THINK they are.

More as it arrives. What are YOUR memories, and where are YOUR photos?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home