Saturday, June 11, 2005

NOTES ‘N’ SUCH

(Originally run 11/23/03 on our old site)

When my “co-historian,” Ernest Simpson, sent me that marvelous piece about being the first guy to take Pre-Wed (or is that Home Ec?) at Searcy High School, I couldn’t resist passing on to him this TRUE story:

Home Ec for Boys is a state-mandated course in Ohio. Massillon, OH, had barely enough guys signed up to make it possible to hold a class. Then, over a summer, some nameless soul had an epiphany. They re-named the course, and then the stampede hit. They had to add a second class period, and almost a third.


Same course, same teacher, different name.

The name?

"Bachelor Living."

Ernie’s response:

Thanks for telling me that about that.

You know, I never once was concerned for my masculinity during that time, maybe for obvious reasons, but maybe reinforced by the girls, and the guys who wanted in the course, too.

Go figure.

Anyway, it was a great time and, like ole Augustus McRae said in Lonesome Dove, "Woodrow, it's been one helluva party." You may hear that quote from me again sometime, ole bud....

Thanks to Mildred Taylor Wilbourn for sending the info about the Mayfair. Those old ladies were really eccentric ... at least, three of them were. They had an old '37 Hudson Hornet in the garage behind the hotel, dusty, but had very few miles on it. I was really impressed by the vehicle...

I loved this story (about our friend, Benny)! It causes memories, and that is a good thing, besides being a great entertainment piece.

I had home brew as a hobby for several years (my favorite recipe I called "Goat Scrotom Ale"), then I got into wine making, too. Another fun thing to do, I assure you, if you can keep up with production. I have since shut down and given all my equipment to another budding winemaker.

(Glad you added that Ern, or everyone would’ve been bugging me for your home address).

When Dad worked at one of the feed stores in town, “Uncle” Everett used to come and buy sugar 400-500 pounds at a time. We knew he was making corn whiskey.

Dad posed the question in front of several of their friends as Everett came in to pick up his load one day: "Everett, what are you going to do with all that sugar?"

Uncle Everett says, "By God, I like my tea sweet!" That brought a great laugh, and Everett loaded his sugar and went on his way.

P.S. I'm checking some dates now on bad things band directors did to each other. Bill Laas was a prankster, and Al and he both loved practical jokes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home