Monday, September 17, 2007

CAVALIER ATTITUDE – Part One

Editor’s note: The following got lost in the translation from reality to e-mail and back again. Sorry ‘bout that. –tlp-

DON THOMPSON

Hi,

This 1942 SHS annual, Cavalier, has an interesting cover.

A negative version is a little easier to view.

I believe the flag is the American flag. Look closely and some of the stripes are just visible.

Here's one of the inside pages.


Description


This High School Yearbook is loaded with pictures of the high school students at Searcy, Arkansas and many, many inscriptions and signatures of students. The book belonged to a popular junior named "Lucille". We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about students pictured in the annual.

Condition of book is Good. Binding is leatherette (faux leather).


Anyone know a 1942 junior with first name Lucille?

This book is interesting to me because my grandfather took in his niece, Monnie Graham, as a boarder so she could finish her senior year at Searcy Hi. Her family lived out in the country and transportation was too hard. My grandfather owed his brother Frank $150 from the early 30s so this was a way to pay him back. My Uncle Doyle said that was cheap board.

My uncle was 20 and in the Civil Service at that time. He was in a food service operation in the Azores Islands. This was his way to serve his country since he wasn't physically able to serve in the armed forces. My other uncle, Alvin, was in the Army and died in Germany in 1942. He is buried in France.

One thing I remembered about Monnie is going with her to visit her boyfriend. I remember he had lots of model airplanes hanging from the ceiling in his room. I was 6 at the time and really liked model airplanes. One could get a kit from Sterling's for 10 cents. Balsa wood was scarce because of the war so the parts were made from stiff cardboard. I remember I didn't understand how to build a fuselage frame from cross section pieces and stringers so I just glued the stringers to the plan and cut it out. Yes, I really do remember that!

Cheers,

Don

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Don,
The lovely Lucille is my aunt Lucy... You may know about her from my cousin Marian, she mentioned the yearbook in a Xmas note and may have written to you. My father Andy was the oldest, followed by Edna, Margie and Lucy, I was born in Searcy, 1942, she was 17. When I was a little girl I thought aunt Lucy was the most beautiful, interesting person besides my daddy, in the whole wide world.
Do you collect yearbooks specifically or did you just come across it?
Regards, Becky Cortez

7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Don,
The lovely Lucille is my aunt Lucy... You may know about her from my cousin Marian, she mentioned the yearbook in a Xmas note and may have written to you. My father Andy was the oldest, followed by Edna, Margie and Lucy, I was born in Searcy, 1942, she was 17. When I was a little girl I thought aunt Lucy was the most beautiful, interesting person besides my daddy, in the whole wide world.
Do you collect yearbooks specifically or did you just come across it?
Regards, Becky Cortez

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home