Tuesday, December 13, 2005

NUTZ NOTES

(Run originally 8/1/04 on our old site)


ERNIE SIMPSON (1)

Good morning old friend, if you wouldn't mind to pass the following on to Draxie:

A simple heartfelt 'thank you' seems woefully inadequate for how this piece touched me. We all remember the times and scenes of life through which We have passed that make this even more special. I loved it, I enjoyed it, and the tears of an old man here I would pass on as a tribute to those times of heartbreak and joy we all have shared in common.

Thank you so much, Draxie.

ANITA HART FULLER

I'm going to Searcy tomorrow and so will ask mother about Powell's Dairy. Seems a little familiar to me - but I may be thinking of Benton's Dairy (Harold Lee Benton's father). The only Powell I remember is Helen Beth Powell, but I'm thinking her father was in the trucking business or something like that. Tell Susie or whoever, that Roger Williams, at Stott's Drugstore, has a real old telephone directory, I think it's about l943, there at the drugstore. He let me borrow it for our 30th class reunion.

Our phone number was 543. Judy Deener's was 306 and her house number was 306 E. Center. I always thought that was so neat. Judy Rice’s number: 87.

(Ours was 1129W3, an 8-party line. Best number is town was the then-White County Motors: 1 -tlp-)

ERNIE SIMPSON (2)

I thought Powell's Dairy was the one I remember at which my dad worked in 1947, at the corner of Davis Drive and North By-Pass Road, where Larry Maness crashed his dad's Buick when he missed the turn.

Hmmmm .... methinks Mr. Powell also owned the land on the east side of 67 (Davis Drive) where the Fairgrounds are now, as well as the Dairy.

SUSIE HOFFMAN BOYETT

Tom, thanks to your assistance, we now have good info on Powell’s Dairy. After you mentioned it in the journal, Anita Fuller asked her mother about the dairy – which she remembered perfectly, and gave us the name of the woman whose husband owned the dairy. She’s now 93 and felt there was value in the milk bottles (which started the whole inquiry). Those she had kept were destroyed by a fire, so she and members of her family are interested in obtaining bottles with the dairy’s imprint.

I loved the piece about the cow, the well, and Flywheel Price.

MADELINE SIMPSON BARBER

I remember very well where we met the Morris School boys. We met them at the Rialto to begin with, then we started meeting them at Yarnell's. How many remember when you could go into Yarnell's and sit in a booth and eat ice cream? The boys would come to town in their school bus, and I am not sure, but I believe it was parked somewhere around Spring Park.

I know several of the girls were fascinated with the Morris boys; as Anita said, they were "new" in town, and different. I know Martha Ann Jenkins and I both had boyfriends from there, and she actually drove several of us out to the school at least one time that I remember. She must have been about 14, because the Morris school only went through the 7th grade. If I remember correctly, she really was not supposed to drive out of town (Actually, was supposed to have an adult with her. –tlp-). I guess its okay to tattle after all these years. I know she had a car full of girls, and I am sure none of us were supposed to go for that ride. I cannot remember all the girls who were with us. I believe Jane Waller, and maybe Paula. I don't remember if Anita was with us or not.

As for the Powell's dairy, I do know we had our milk delivered to our house in glass bottles, but I thought it was Benton's dairy. I am not sure about that, maybe a Mr. Benton delivered it. I was about 10 or 11 at the time, and am now close to 66, so I will use "old age" as a lapse in memory.

I just discovered your site recently. I have enjoyed hearing from some of the "oldtimers" I went to school with. I did leave Searcy High in the 10th grade, and went to Harding Academy but, still, I went to school in the Searcy system from the second through the 9th, so I have a lot of fond memories of my years in the Searcy school system. I look forward to reading more of your Searcy Yesteryear.

Tom Pry (2005 update)

Madeline, at our planning meeting for the 50th class reunion of the Class of ’56, the subject of people like you came up. You were mentioned specifically, in fact, since you would’ve been a member of the SHS Class of ’56 if you hadn’t made that move. We’d like to have you, and others like you – the transfers, the moves, the drop-outs – at this get-together.

As for you partaking of this site … hey, it’s “Searcy Yesteryear” not “Searcy HIGH SCHOOL Yesteryear.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home