Saturday, January 14, 2006

DRIPS AND DABS

Jim Bohannon

I will assume most of the readers of the Searcy Yesteryear column are retired and, like me, probably spend a lot of time on the computer. If they (like me) enjoy listening to classical music playing in the background while on the computer. May I suggest streaming a radio station located in Washington, DC.
http://www.wgms.com/ The station is the most listened to classical radio station in the world. The station plays classical music 24/7 commercial-free. And one can stream the music right off their computer. As a fan of classical music, may I recommend this great radio station to the Searcy Yesteryear readers.

Tom Pry

Not classical music, sire, except in the sense of oldies from the 20th Century. I’ve had much fun digitizing and “cleaning up” old vinyl recordings and storing them on my PC. I’ve got a nice amplifier and a equally-nice set of old reference speakers stashed under my desk and listen to my own private, customized juke box while I pound the keyboard.

In fact, those of you with old vinyl you’d like to preserve … check out my commercial:

THIS IS A PERSONAL COMMERCIAL, which I’ll be running about once a week until Google – or you – tells me to knock it off.

DO YOU HAVE VINYL RECORDS and/or CASSETTES THAT NEED TRANSFERRING TO CD?

I have the software and the experience to transfer this material, or anything recorded on a VHS tape, to CD – AFTER it’s been digitally cleaned up to get rid of annoying pops, snaps, hissing.

Price: reasonable. Reaction time: quick. Copies available? Depends on what you send.

Call during daylight or early evening hours: 501-268-7438, or e-mail me at tompry@gmail.com.

HELP! Social Security just doesn’t go as far as it used to .. and those old tapes and records don’t last forever, either.

Which reminds me: do any of you have a working reel-to-reel tape deck capable of playing back both 7.5 and 3.75 ips recordings? Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home