Monday, August 07, 2006

I realize we discussed Mady some years ago, but one more question foranyone who might know: Who were her relatives, and where were theywhen she was terrorizing all the girls who wore shorts on the streetsof Searcy? Elizabeth Vaughn Capps and I have recently been emailingabout Mady and neither of us knows anything about her relatives, etc.The reason I was even remembering her: yesterday I was "browsing" thruthe Searcy cemetaries via the White County Historical Society websiteand came across Mady's name. What struck me so was her age when shedied, "just" 70 years old. I was 70 Friday, Aug. 4th. Didn't weall think Mady was close to l00yrs.?I really enjoyed Don Johnson/Johnston's memories. I have a photo, I'mnot sure it wasn't posted on Searcyyesteryear, of a scene taken from"Arsenic and Old Lace" Even though I can't remember what I ate forbreakfast this morning, I clearly remember that play, AND that Don wasthe dead man in the box. Thanks for the memories, Don.
Anita Fuller

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anita,

You and others have been discussing MADY ARMSTRONG, the mysterious and (to some)frightening lady who used to walk the streets of Searcy. I remember her well.

You indicated you'd like to know a little more about her. Here's probably more than you wanted:

MADY CLEVELAND ARMSTRONG was born 18 October, 1892 in Chepultepec, Blount County, Alabama to ISAAC HARPER ARMSTRONG and MARY LOU CYNTHIA WHITED. They were married 25 November, 1882 in Blount County, Alabama. There were several of the Armstrong clan who lived in close vicinity there. Mady was the fith of 9 children.

Between 1910 and 1920, Mady, at least two of her brothers,ISAAC BUFORD ARMSTRONG, born 18 August, 1887, and FLORNEY CLIFTON ARMSTRONG, born 8 December, 1888, and at least one of her sisters, EMMA LOU ARMSTRONG, born 25 February, 1885, moved to White County, Arkansas. In the 1920 White County census, Isaac and his wife, JOHANNA (ANNA) IRENE WHITED, owned a home on River Street in Searcy. Living with them were Mady, Florney, and Emma.

In late 1920 Isaac Buford and family moved back to Blount County. In 1922, Florney married Eula Cobb and by 1925 they were also back in Blount County, Alabama.

Sister, Emma, married ALLISON L. MARR and died in Searcy 22 January, 1979. Allie and Emma are listed in the 1930 White County census. Also, in that census, Mady is living in her own home at 504 E. Vine Street.

Some records indicate Mady died 14 June, 1969 and others 14 June, 1962. If she was 70 when she died and she was born in 1892, then she must have died in 1892.

I have no info on her between 1930 and her death.

Genealogy is a hobby of mine. If I can be of help to anyone in that category, let me know.

Donald Johnston
donaldrj@bellsouth.net

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home